Skip to main content

Apply for a Personal Licence

A Personal Licence is required by anyone authorising the sale of alcohol from a Licensed Premises. All Licensed Premises must have an allocated Personal Licence Holder, known as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS). The DPS must authorise every sale of alcohol.


In order to obtain a Personal Licence; applicants must be 18 years of age or above and will need the following:

  • Personal Licence application form – Obtained from local Councils or Licensing Authorities.
  • Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders Qualification Certificate (The original) - Click here to book a course
  • Disclosure and Barring Service (this replaces the CRB check)  - Can be obtained from for £25 (N.B - check valid for 28days)
  • Two passport-size photos - Signed by a professional to prove the identity of the applicant - Click here for the list of who can sign (I hereby certify this as a true likeness of (applicants name) -  Professionals name / Date / Job title)
  • Application fee - £37


All of the above must be submitted to the local Council (where the applicant lives) in order to apply for the Licence to sell alcohol.